Pages

Daves' Diary

Welcome to my very own slice of the world wide web. This is an account of my trials and tribulations as I try to forge ahead on this spinning globe and get myself a 'career' in the process. Please read on and make sure your feet are clean. Thanks!

Tuesday 24 April 2012

conversation.....


Conversation:

Life currently revolves around many little routines (coffee shops, broadband, gym, food shopping and job applications). These are all designed to get me from day to the next as I hunt down my Nirvana….

Today’s routine started with an early trip to a national superstore (currently not as good as it should be but still making massive profits). Here I had a conversation with Mary; a, seemingly, very disengaged member of staff:

Me (smiling) : Morning Mary, how are you today?

Mary (not smiling):    Not so good….don‘t ask.

Me (rising to a challenge):    (but I just did?) Oh, right…..one of those days! Have got a long shift then?

 Mary (face drops and she sighs): Yes, I am here until 3pm (glances at her watch. It is 0815 and her face falls further)

Me (full of verve and merriment): Not too worry, you could meet lots of interesting customers today (me, sic) and when you leave at 3 the sun might be shining….!

Mary (lower lip quivering): Customers are not great (ironic smile and fleeting eye contact) and the forecast is pretty wet I think…..

 Is this is an example of someone in a job just for the sake of having a job or have I made an incorrect assumption? It could be that her pet tortoise is missing (responds to name of Harry) or her broadband has been playing up (so she cannot surf the net and go trawling for Mr Right). We all have bad days and it is important that we can make them better. I hope that Mary is managing to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment